Sunday, March 30, 2008

Haymed.org Triathlon

Yesterday I volunteered my time in the morning to work the Haymed.org
triathlon in Waynesville, NC. The night before I was able to convince
Jennifer to do the race, even though it was calling for rain in the
am. I got her out of bed at 0500, and we made the 1/2 hour drive in
the rain to the race site. While I was busy on the course making sure
that the marshals were in place, and the roads were swept of loose
gravel, Jennifer was busy racing. I made it back from my first task,
to see Jen go off in the pool, 6 laps, or 300 yards, not a long swim
at all. Jen has not been swimming since 2004 IMFL, but she completed
it in a respectable 7 minutes. On the bike course, she posted the
fastest women's time, and 4th fastest overall time men or women,
unbelievable! Her run was 27 minutes, great for not having run since
December! She placed 4th overall woman, 1st in her age group. I was
busy most of the time out on the bike and run course, so I didn't get
to see much racing. I did follow an 11 year old girl on both the bike
and run, and I'm happy to report she finished the race and got the
loudest applause at he awards ceremony. 11 years old and racing
triathlon, amazing!!

No comments: